A handmaid of the Lord

Behold the handmaid of the Lord: Be it done unto me according to Thy word. These are the thoughts and experiences of my journey toward being a handmaid with Mary as my example.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Yard Work

Today has been a really lovely day. Charlie was still really tired from the lock-out the other night so he slept soooooooo late...and incidently, so did I. It's a chain reaction, he sleeps late, then I do, and if I do, the Gabrielle and Felicity do. So, we weren't up and moving until noonish. hehe But we lounged around in bed for a while watching movies and snuggling and enjoying our sweet family.

Today we went shopping to the Houston Garden Center and Home Depot and got some stuff to improve our yard. We have this gorgeous courtyard to the side of our house that was really over grown and we have never dealt with it. But we have started working on it and Charlie's in the process of digging a fire pit for it. We're also going to put in a statue of Mary under the archway and a bench for praying. At Home Depot I got some beautiful hanging baskets of flowers and also some more basil and parsley (since my last try wasn't so hot).
My children are now offically in bed...so I think I'm going to go pick up and head to bed myself. We're going to morning mass tomorrow at St. Anthony's (YAY!) so we can get home and work on the yard some more... Goodnight!

3 Comments:

At 5/28/2006 6:55 AM, Blogger Jennie C. said...

I always think it's disrespectful for kids to not eat their food. I know the "experts" say forcing them to clean to plates causes eating disorders and whatnot, but really, I don't recall any such feelings as a child. I don't force them to finish, but there isn't any dessert unless they do. Sometimes two or three get dessert and the rest don't.

Why is it disrespectful? Food is a resource that David works hard to pay for and I work hard to purchase and prepare. Not eating it is a sort of "slap in the face", a clear sign that they don't appreciate the sacrifices David and I make for them.

So, I have to say Charlie is right here. But don't worry too much about contradicting him. Apologize and move on. It'll probably happen again, but making mistakes is how we learn!

 
At 5/28/2006 2:01 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on issues of food. I agree with you that food is something that is worked hard for - by both of us - and that it is disrespectful for children to not eat their food. However, with a child who is just barely 2 years old I disagree that she should have to eat everything offered to her, and I disagree that by not eating everything it is a "slap in the face." At this age she is not intentionally disrepectful. With this child in particular, I do not think that she would understand what was being asked of her with that method. When I say to her, "do x, and you can do/have y" she doesn't get what I'm asking her yet, in any case.
I was never required to eat everything on my plate, and I'm choosing not to implement that with my children as well. Dessert was not an every day, or even weekly, option for me growing up; nor will it be for my children. Therefore, it was not/is not a motivator to finish everything offered.
I feel in the situation that occured yesterday in my family, I was wrong because I disgregarded the agreement that my husband and I came to, not that my little girl had a few bites of ice cream. We discussed it and he agreed in the end that based on what she *had* eaten, it probably wasn't harmful for her to have a little bit of ice cream. It was a communication issue.

 
At 5/28/2006 7:27 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Andrea, I would love to read the document you were talking about. And thank you so much for your prayers! It means so much to me. I'm going to make this short because housework is unfortunately calling me, haha. But I can't wait to see you Thursday! Have a great week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home