A handmaid of the Lord

Behold the handmaid of the Lord: Be it done unto me according to Thy word. These are the thoughts and experiences of my journey toward being a handmaid with Mary as my example.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Singing Old McDonald

So I've been watching this mini series called "God or the Girl" on A&E. It's about 4 guys who are discerning the priesthood; all of my Catholic friends are talking about it so I TiVo'ed it and watched some today. I was really impressed with it - I felt like these guys could be my friends, as they are what my dad fondly calls the JPII generation like Charlie, me, and our peers/friends. It's exciting to see the Church get good press and to see this on secular TV.

Speaking of TV, I am a total American Idol addict, which I can't help based on my past. lol Tonight's show was so fun, my prediction is that Kellie will be leaving tomorrow. They did standards, my very favorite. It gets me all riled up inside, I miss those days of music. The other day I was chatting with a guy that I went to high school with and sang with in choir. He's a music major and just got a full ride for grad school; just hearing him talk about it made my heart hurt. I have this desperate longing for that realm of life, and I'm afraid that I will never find it again. I always joke with Charlie that I was classically trained with Mozart, Handel, Vivaldi, Rachmaninoff, Victoria, etc., just to spend my days singing Old McDonald. It's something I can't think about too often because of the pain it invokes. That passion gave me such purpose. My single greatest regret in my life so far is that I got burnt out in high school and walked away from it all - I should have been a music major.

Moving on....don't want to cry...

We have been praying the Divine Mercy Novena since Friday, it was fun because we did it with Court and Chels on Friday and Saturday. When we got home we got to use our little space that Charlie created for us to pray for the first time. I thought it was kind of weird at first when he wanted to put it there, but I really like it now. Maybe I'll post a pic later. We rent an old farm house and the couple who built it never finished the standing shower in the master bath (there's an old claw foot tub in there), so we used the little corner to put a crucifix, an icon, a candle, and two little kneelers.

Last night we prayed for those who don't believe in God (that was the topic of the day for the novena). There is someone who was in my life a long time ago that I prayed for specifically. I think that maybe that person was in my life just so that I could spend all these years praying for them (we are no longer in contact), as I resolved way back then (about 9 years ago) to pray for this person to seek, accept, and truly fall in love with God. My humble prayers are certainly not enough to change someone's heart, however God can do all things and I hope that someday this person will join Him in heaven.

My darling Charlie will be home soon from a super long day at work, so I should go prepare for his arrival!

3 Comments:

At 4/18/2006 9:44 PM, Blogger Jennie C. said...

You know, you can't do anything more important than raising children. Perhaps your passion for music will bear fruit in a different way. It is certainly a gift you can pass to your beloved children.

 
At 4/18/2006 10:39 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Just to clairify, I certainly don't think it's more important, more fufilling, or more full of love than raising my children. I could clearly see God in the beauty of that music, but I can clearly see God in my sweet babies and in my husband. I know that it wasn't the path that I was intended for, and I have peace with that. It's not something I dwell on, just tonight that's where my thoughts moved me....

 
At 4/19/2006 5:48 AM, Blogger Jennie C. said...

I didn't suspect for a moment that you'd rather have your music that your children! I only hoped to point out that the two aren't mutually exclusive. We often think that we have to give up the things we love because "we're parents now", but wouldn't it be wonderful to share the things we love with the people we love enough to die for?

I'd like to suggest a book here: "The Hidden Art of Homemaking" by Edith Schaeffer. It's one to have on your bookshelf and covers, among other things, sharing music in the family. Mrs. Schaeffer is probably the most graceful, beautiful woman I have ever met, though I've only met her in books, and she is so very worth getting to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home