A handmaid of the Lord

Behold the handmaid of the Lord: Be it done unto me according to Thy word. These are the thoughts and experiences of my journey toward being a handmaid with Mary as my example.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Saving some time in the Morning

For lent I gave up makeup.

This has been a huge struggle for me, especially since we continue to have social engagements that I feel naked attending with my blank face. The wearing of makeup has been part of my life for at least the last 10 years, so to face the world sans mascara and blush (my "essentials") for 40 whole days is not only scary but strange for me. In all the years that I've "given up" something for Lent, nothing has affected me like this because nothing was ever good enough to constantly remind me. I am constantly reminded of Christ's sacrifice, His sweet life that He gave for our sins, just by my reflection in the mirror. The interesting thing about this is that I think that this reminder will continue to happen long after Easter when I bust out my Bourjouis and Stella and Clinique. Every time I see myself I am reminded of Him, and isn't that something I should do anyway? Shouldn't I look for Christ reflected in my family and my friends, in strangers, in myself?

As an added benefit, I have come to find my face beautiful. Don't tell Charlie I said that, because he's awfully used to me saying bad things about myself. BUT, I haven't seen myself without makeup for *years* and with the exaggeration of what was beautiful to start with, the removal of my makeup at the end of the day was almost painful to see. I am beautiful because I am made in the image and likeness of God. What a wonderful lesson to learn!

I don't think that I will stop wearing makeup, because I really do like it. I like how I feel when I have it on, I like making myself look nice for my husband, and I enjoy the few moments of primping I have to myself. But after this lent, I don't think I'll be afraid to make myself so vulnerable and I think I'll be more aware of the beauty Christ is in us.

2 Comments:

At 4/05/2006 5:43 AM, Blogger Jennie C. said...

This is a lovely post, and has given me something to think about.

 
At 4/05/2006 7:57 PM, Anonymous Angela said...

I love this post. What a wonderful reminder that we are truly made in HIS image. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home