A handmaid of the Lord

Behold the handmaid of the Lord: Be it done unto me according to Thy word. These are the thoughts and experiences of my journey toward being a handmaid with Mary as my example.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

"...For your voice is sweet, and you are lovely." Song of Songs 2:14


Thankfully, today continued without any sign of sickness! Interesting, because last night's topic of prayer in the Novena was little children...

As a young girl, from about junior high until I was pregnant with Felicity, the way that I chose to dress was less than chaste. It seemed like my dad was always telling me that I was going to be a "near occasion of sin for young men!" Which is something I totally didn't even understand until very recently. I mean VERY recently.
I was of the mentality that I just wanted to look cute. I didn't understand the affect that it had on boys. In fact, I was just apologizing to Charlie the other day for all those years that he had to look at me in short shorts, skimpy bathing suits, too tight tops, skin tight jeans... That must have been hard for him. I was oblivious for the most part. I say the most part because I knew that I was found attractive, but I didn't understand the struggle that it caused. I had good self esteem, I expected to be treated well, and I did have a sense of personal dignity based on the fact that I was a creation of God - but I didn't understand how to communicate that through my clothing.
Now, of course, I understand that I can dress modestly and still look pretty. No denim jumpers for me, I am sooo not into that. But the complaint that there are no options out there is crazy. There may not be many, but there are enough. I want to make sure that I teach my girls that they can be beautiful, they can dress in a feminine way, and they can do that without exposing so much (as I did) - and really reflect the beauty of God in that feminine modesty. I got this link in a prolife newsletter that was emailed to me the other day, and I think this is a beautiful idea: pure fashon show

My favorite thing is the list of "Modesty Guidelines," it won't let me link it or copy/paste it, but it's under "About Pure Fashion." Maybe I'll type it out later, I want to print it anyway.

I identify so heavily with the feminine elements of my being, and for me, beauty and appreciation for what is beautiful (like the gorgeous antiqe-like colored flowers on my desk right now) is one of the greatest gifts of femininity - as God is the greatest beauty of all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home